Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sunshine, Shawls and a Hero

Our plumbing is still a huge mess, there are still tons of problems everywhere, but the sun came out today in Mexico City and pessimistic thoughts don't help anyone.  Instead, I'm happy to say that I finished a project!  For those of you who don't know me, you may shake your head and say "so what."  And that is a legitimate thought to have.  But as my family and close friends know, I have a short attention span, starting many things then taking forever to finish any of them, because by the time I'm half way through a project, something better comes along.  Unfortunately, my house contains many orphaned projects that will never again see the light of day.

But not this raspberry shawl/throw!   It took a year of  on and off knitting but it's done.  For those of you who knit and want to do a fast project (I know, a year isn't fast but
 most people have more "stick to it" will power than I have), I recommend this.  It was knit with a silky cotton yarn and is a super easy pattern:
Cast on 60
Row 1: knit, pearl, knit, pearl, to the end of the row
Row 2: knit
Repeat rows 1 and 2 until desired length - this one is about 60"

It took a little over two skeins of yarn (I can't find the label but any silky cotton will do).


 I'm really bad at taking pictures of myself and Arturo wasn't around so this is as good as it gets.

In other news, I'm working on a couple of book reviews that I want to post here - if you have any suggestions please let me know.  Then last night I was asked if I would like to review a new book on knitting.  Even though I advised them that I'm not an expert, they said that was fine as the book is for all levels.  So I'll be doing that review soon too.

To top off today's post, and most importantly, here is a FB link about a Borlaug family member of whom we are extremely proud:  Norman Borlaug.  Most people don't know who he is, but he is credited with saving millions of lives through his work, and in 1970 he won the Nobel Peace Prize.  Much of his work in developing disease resistent, high yield wheat varieties was done just miles away from Mexico City in Toluca, Estado de Mexico.  There are many websites about his life and work, including this one.  Thanks to my cousin David Borlaug for starting the ball rolling on the topic of Norman Borlaug today.   Inspiration is all around us!

No comments:

Post a Comment